Why I think Infection is no longer fun

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by ooty, Aug 27, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this?

Poll closed Sep 27, 2016.
  1. Yes

44.4%
  2. Mostly

22.2%
  3. Neutral

27.8%
  4. Hardly

5.6%
  5. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ooty

ooty Forum Enthusiast

Prologue: Okay... I know a lot of people reading this will know who I am. I used to be a regular on Infection, I played every day back when it was at it's height of popularity, as did many others. As you probably know, I don't play on it anymore, along with a lot of other people who have given up. Since a lot of people knew me & I never really said why I stopped playing, I have wrote this thread to explain why. I want to know what the rest of you all think about my opinions on Infection, & if I am appearing biased because I am an [Admin] who is maxed, sorry that I appeared that way, I try hard to not be. I have spent a lot of time writing this thread, so please read all of it, & I would be very pleased if you didn't rage about it in some post. I will not be replying to any posts about this, in this forum thread or not. I will only reply if it is very important & if I feel that there is actually a point in replying, so not just to get into a fight that will accomplish nothing. I will still read what people put though because I want to keep an open mind.

I remember when I used to play Infection every day. There were lot's of people online all the time. I remember back at it's peak, it used to have about 80 players online. I went through a lot of stages of wandering whether I thought "Should hacked clients be allowed on Infection?"

I kept on changing my mind & eventually settled on that they should be. This thread is mostly about this subject. Firstly I want to explain why I found hacks fun, & I believe why many others did as well. If you didn't use hacks, it would basically work like this: You're in a map, there probably aren't many hiding spots (*cough*Temple*cough*), & the ones that are there are so easy to get to that you have a very small chance of surviving the whole game.

You might now be thinking... That's because the hackers made it impossible to win... Sometimes that was the case, for instance when players found a way to teleport upwards on top of certain maps, like Desert & Mineshaft. That was fixed, & as far as I remember, it was fixed quickly. It is also to be noted that amazing things like that were rare. Otherwise players that used hacks to their advantage often did die, but the fact is, if nobody did hack, the games would have been very short & everyone would have died.

This is going back to my old point about where you can even go to get away from zombies, because there is almost always no where. Some maps that had this problem of having no places to go were most notably Temple, Caves, Mineshaft & Desert.

Another reason why many others & I liked hacks is because it made the game, in short, interesting. Here's a made up example of why... "
    Wow... I like that tiny hole up in that giant tree... I wanna try & get to that. How am I going to do that? Maybe if I used my fly to do this & my spider to do that... I can get there!"

Stuff like this makes Infection last a lot longer to people. It adds creativity, it makes the game stay interesting even when you are maxed out, it allows you to explore Infection however you want & do what you think is necessary to win. Like that example above, I once did something similar. I found a way to get from the Halloween map to the Towers map by using 'that structure with a pole with a disc on top of it thing...' After I cracked it, other people copied after my new tactic I invented. Don't say this isn't fun.

Even places that are completely legitimate have been removed. I recently found that people call this place 'The Room.' The Room is in the Stronghold map, & it has a reversed iron door. You could spam buttons to stop zombies from getting in. Anybody could do this, & often humans did die in that room as well. You may not like the fact that humans didn't let other humans in, but that's just tough. If that is their tactic, to use the iron door to keep themselves locked away, then what's wrong with that? It adds an advantage, that being that you could be the last player alive in that room, & also that if a zombie does get in, you have no backup. This room was changed & you no longer can do this. Just... Why?

Even if you agree with most of that, you may still not agree with gliding to other maps. I still agree with gliding to other maps. It isn't that different to what I just said. For instance when I was talking about creating ways to get to certain places, I managed to come up with one about getting from the Halloween MAP to the Towers MAP.

As you can hopefully see, that isn't very different to using hacks in the map is it. A reason why many people may not want people to go to other maps is because it makes it 'impossible' to kill the humans who have done it. Sure it does make it harder, but at least it isn't as simple as: "
    Oh look there's a player there, let's kill them really quickly because there's no where for them to go & it's easy to get to them!" Which is exactly what would happen now if people even went on Infection anymore because hacks are basically pointless.

Anyways... so going back to why it is 'impossible' to kill humans who have glided to another map, I will tell you why it isn't. First off, zombies can travel to other maps easier because of their speed boost & other things, so it makes it easier for them to get to other maps & not get automatically kicked or teleported back in the process. This means that it is more likely that zombies will succeed in getting to other maps, allowing them to kill humans. I have seen sometimes 5 zombies & 2 humans in a map like Desert for instance. Those players would have glided from the Jungle map. Also, zombies are perfectly capable of gliding, so I don't see what the fuss is about with humans gliding to other maps to get away. At least there's actually a way to escape from zombies from this anyway.

Now I am going to talk about 'The Ender Chest.' I know a lot of people hate the ender chest, & I know a lot of people like the ender chest. I personally do like it, but I don't expect other people to like it. The reason I don't have a problem with it is, that first off, it added a big motivation to the game. Once you hit prestige 10... Think... You'll be able to use the ender chest to spawn kill like the others. Is that fair? No, it's not. Is having a sharpness 20 bow fair? Having a better kit because you had a donator rank, having a 'super' golden apple whenever you spawn as a zombie? No, none of that is fair, & it isn't that different.

The reason that Infection is fun is because of the upgrade system. People like getting better & better & better. That is natural, & the ender chest is not that different. Sure it makes humans very powerful for ONE map in the game, but I never used to have much of a problem with it that I went on to the forums to complain about it or anything. I just kept on sprinting & eventually I got out of the spawn kill area.

The reason I won't be surprised about people not agreeing on my thoughts about the ender chest is because I know that it is very easy to get angry at the ender chest's uses, & that it can get annoying, but if you got into a big rage about it every time Desert map was randomly selected, then I would have, & kind of still do suggest, even though it's gone, that you relax about it a bit.

By the way, if you think that the ender chest was bad, then go back to the time of item glitching. Back when people glitched their sharpness 20 bows into the next map to spawn kill. This happened all the time, & I am pleased that this glitch was removed. I actually did get pretty annoyed about this, but this was often every 1/2 rounds. That completely destroys the game.

Now anyways... Minetime shut down. The amount of players on Infection on average is probably about 0 to 2 now. I don't blame Minetime for that, they didn't know this was going to happen, & I must say I was surprised when I joined how many players had given up on Minetime. Now though, looking at the state of things, I can see exactly why. I never thought I would say this, but Minetime might as well be offline, nobody joins, there isn't any point in joining, & if they don't make Infection & the other game modes fun like they used to be, I may actually never play on there again... & this is coming from me guys...

I know I never really played much anyway, but this is the reason, what I mean is that I never will play again, & I will just forget about Minetime. I am not expecting Minetime to change their mind because of this thread, I doubt they will... But if they want to have a community of happy players again, then that is the way to do it. If you just do what you want & don't listen to feedback, then what can you expect?

I know that I have seen things about how they want to get new players to start joining Minetime, instead of just, basically, keeping the old people. 1st off, it doesn't look like that is going to happen since there is nobody on Minetime, & I have seen no improvement. 2nd, why do those new players have to have no hacked clients? Why can they not do what the others have done before them? There are plenty of people who would like to do this if they had the chance, & it would make perfect sense for them to want to. After all, we were all new players once, why would we be any different to those new players that supposedly will join?

Epilogue: Well done for reading the entirety of this thread. I am very pleased that you did, there was a lot to read.
    Thank you.

Okay so guys... Like I put earlier. I am not going to reply to things about this unless I think I really should. I will still read what you all put because I am going to keep an open mind about this. Please remember to vote on the poll at the top too guys.

- Live long & Prosper.

#1 ooty, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ItsTjkapaaYT

ItsTjkapaaYT Dedicated Minetimer

**** that's alot of detail.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ooty2

ooty2 Forum Enthusiast

I had a thread a little like this, and people were discussing in how you were never aloud to glide to other maps - so you could also add that they need to have a list of rules (so that people aren't randomly kicked for doing things that they didn't know were wrong). Not saying that gliding to to other maps was a rule, but they should list them :D

I'm not going to ask any questions as I can do that in person.

4. GoodLuck

GoodLuck Expert Member

Personally, I can agree with the title! I used to play a lot back in the day when you could freely fly anywhere. Ahh the good good days.

Haha too true though!
    I suppose that's one of the reasons Minetime became so popular!
    Yeah, I can agree with you there but I suppose it made it really unfair for those few players that decided to play without a modified client.
    I think the ended chest and the crafting table glitches were fun and clever. They were fair for all players and added some character to older players.
    Hey, you have a really good point there! I suppose Collin became a little distant and uninterested with time. Hopefully with someone like Tyler in charge, that will change.
    I think it was really great of you to put so much effort into a post like this, and it shows in a way that you are not quite over Minetime. Why not try a different game mode? I personally moved on from infection to skyblock when all my real life friends stopped playing Minecraft.

Hey, I hope to see you around!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ooty

ooty Forum Enthusiast

I'm replying to this because I really enjoyed reading what you put :). Thank you for saying that you think it's great that I put so much time into this thread btw, & I agree that with Tyler in charge, maybe it could go back to how it was always meant to be.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ooty2

ooty2 Forum Enthusiast

3) I know this sounds out of the box, but you could have 2 separate infections 1 for hacking 1 for not.
    5) I don't have much to say about this part but your right.

7. GoodLuck

GoodLuck Expert Member

Hey, now that would be very interesting!

8. Flossie

Flossie Expert Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. gone

gone Expert Member

1. Reset Infection
    2. Get rid of bows
    3. Get rid of Gapples
    4. ???
    5. Profit

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Flossie

Flossie Expert Member

wat

11. ooty2

ooty2 Forum Enthusiast

Whats in the 4th spot?

12. Nathan

Nathan Salty Ex-Mod

People just need to play more. I think a reset would attract more players because of the competitiveness (is that a word?) to get to prestige 10 first.

13. GoodLuck

GoodLuck Expert Member

To be frank, I'd hate to see a reset. Reasons? All the veterans would lose their records from 2012, for example mine is 2467.

14. ooty

ooty Forum Enthusiast

Just wandering... What would go in their places?

15. Kyleep

Kyleep Retired Moderator

www.minetime.com/rules [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. ooty2

ooty2 Forum Enthusiast

17. Jack__Burton

Jack__Burton Active Member

.-. why not everyone who replys to dis should go on infection with Every1 because its enough players <-- i just blew ur mind

:O

18. TopFireKevin

TopFireKevin Active Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Greehn

Greehn Forum Enthusiast

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Cyrious

Cyrious Forum Enthusiast

Timezones :eek: