A Message From Staff

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by daelwolf, Apr 19, 2014.

1. daelwolf

daelwolf Retired Staff

Hello everyone,

Recently, the rest of the staff and I have noticed an alarming amount of hate, disrespect, rudeness, and an overall negative attitude. This is not something we feel the Minetime community should resemble. The point of this thread is to explain to you all, the players, what a friendly, positive, encouraging, family-friendly community we can be.

Treating Others With Respect

This basically covers the issue concerning rudeness and disrespect. Calling other players rude names, mocking them, or calling them out on things they've done in the past is not part of how we feel the community should behave. The only reason bullies harass others is because they know the person will react. If you don't respond, they'll simply stop trying; the only way to stop bullying is to ignore it. (Helpful Tip: there is an ignore option for a reason.) This brings us to our next topic, "hate threads".

Hate Threads

These will not be tolerated in the community. We ask that you please do not create anymore threads that are directed towards the negativity of one or many players. These threads don't solve anything, they just create more problems. If you have a problem with a player, we respectfully ask that you both ignore the player in-game, on the forums, and contact a forum administrator (Megan, Drake, or drtshock) or an owner (Collin or Emily) about it. How to Agree to Disagree Disagreeing is one of the main causes of dispute on the forums, or so we've noticed. One of the signs of being a mature, responsible player is having the ability to agree to disagree. If you disagree, just have a calm discussion with them without it getting out if hand to the point of which the thread is forced to be locked. This carries into our next topic, rating abuse.

Rating Abuse

To be honest, there's no reason this should even be a problem. All of you have access to the ignore option as well as the ability to contact a forum administrator or owner if a player is bothering you- the best option being the former. Moreover, there isn't any need to give someone a negative rating as long as you can follow what has been said above: agreeing to disagree (no, this does not mean to agree to give each other a "Disagree" rating.).

•The "Dumb" Rating

In our opinions, there is no such thing as a dumb post. Just because a player doesn't know something, doesn't mean their question is dumb. Just because a player might say something that was an attempt at being funny, but isn't really, that's not dumb. Just because a player makes an irrelevant comment, they aren't dumb. No one is dumb and that's a fact. From here on out, we want to see less "Dumb" ratings being given out. It's blatantly rude and offensive.

In conclusion, we feel that the Minetime community should be a positive, caring, nurturing community to all players. Imagine a server where there is no negativity: everyone can benefit from it. (Helpful Tip #2: instead of tagging staff members and spamming our notifications which we don't look at anyways, use the "Report" button. It's a more efficient way of contacting us about something.).

Sincerely, The Minetime Staff

• Like x 14
    • Winner x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Jack

Jack Forum Fanatic

Thanks for making this post! I have seen a lot of hate and tension going around lately.

3. sebo4000

sebo4000 New Member

Agreed, i admit i have contributed towards this.

4. sebo4000

sebo4000 New Member

I strongly agree with the section "dumb ratings"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Wifi90876-2

Wifi90876-2 New Member

This is too true, glad you made this.

6. pandaboogie

pandaboogie New Member

I agree with all of this, and it needed to be addressed.

7. Mark_Beaster

Mark_Beaster Forum Enthusiast

I think the dumb rating should be removed, everybody has been silly for rating someone dumb, even me, so from now on if I dislike a comment and, I will use dislike. This is all too true, hate threads, hating and bullying. We should encourage bullies to stop and people to not make hate threads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. xModZ1

xModZ1 Forum Enthusiast

I agree with this, but someone scammed me. I hate people who do this; he now has my mob spawner. In fact, I'm going to be banned once Collin sees the thread he made. I don't get why scamming is allowed.. It's rude and disrespectful.
    I'm not making a hate post right now; I'm just saying that scamming should not be allowed. Also, I bought admin and donated for this server. Now I'm going to get banned? I got angry and threatened the person on accident, but HE should be the one to get banned.
    This 'scamming' is stupid, and I don't want anyone else to be scammed. He most likely didn't treat me with respect, and he reported me on purpose. I think you might know who I'm talking about. :(
    (I rather not say the name).

#8 xModZ1, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Jess

Jess Dedicated Minetimer

This is not directed at daelwolf, but is rather just a response to, and furthering of, what he has said.

The problem being that many choose to take an emotional standpoint backed by their own confirmation bias rather than a standpoint of reasoning and caring. When someone allows themselves to become emotionally invested in a thought or idea, then they are likely to react to anyone who disagrees with or may disprove that idea with an undue amount of hostility. This leads to heated debates in which neither side even listens to the other. That type of heated debate gets nowhere and does nothing but inflames tensions and evokes anger and hatred. Instead of this, I stress that, like you said, we should participate in calm discussions and logically structured arguments. Instead of committing oneself solely to one viewpoint, we should be open to new thoughts and ideas, rather than strictly defending your own viewpoint. Who knows, by considering other opinions, you may find that your view on a matter has changed and evolved into something that may, in fact, be more helpful to both you and the community.

This being said however, some "negativity" can be a good thing. Many consider someone pointing out a flaw in their idea as a negative thing. This may upset them, but you cannot properly discuss thoughts without also considering the flaws and negative effects of the thought. So next time someone criticizes your idea, don't get upset, rather consider what they said and see if it holds any weight, they could be right. Even if you don't believe that they are right, don't simply call them dumb, instead offer your reasoning as to why you believe that they are incorrect. By discussing ides in this manner, we allow ourselves to broaden our perspective and arrive at better solutions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. xModZ1

xModZ1 Forum Enthusiast

You right, but this person UPSET me. Now, I'm going to end up getting banned, and I didn't call HIM dumb. What I was trying to say is that scamming should be banned and I don't want anyone else to be scammed from nonsense. I want to be treated the way I treat other people, not getting scammed just because he needed a spawner. It also took me a long time to save up and buy the spawner. I'll DM you the 'report', if you want..

11. daelwolf

daelwolf Retired Staff

Good argument, but what was supposed to come out if that was the fact that yes, arguing is okay, but getting to the point where it becomes too emotional and unnecessarily aggressive, is not.

12. germanu_505

germanu_505 New Member

Just a point to add, some players have told me that, they feel like they are bullied. My opinion, negative ratings should be removed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jess

Jess Dedicated Minetimer

Yes, scamming is rude and disrespectful. However, if you think about it, scamming may, in fact, serve a purpose also. While anyone of integrity wouldn't scam another player, it is a known fact that not all people retain such a level of moral integrity. Thus, this may serve as a lesson in caution. You are surely now less likely to get scammed in the future because this experience will have taught you to be more wary in your business procedures. Perhaps getting scammed in this game may even help you avoid it in real life in the future.

Also, if you are indeed getting banned due to things you said or did as a result of this event, then perhaps a lesson can be derived from that too. It can be viewed as a lesson in control. If you allow things such as anger to cloud your judgment then you are more likely to do something that you regret. You must maintain careful and logical control of your actions. This can be very difficult at times, but logic will almost always yield a better result than acting on emotional impulse. If you stay calm, cool, and collected, then you are much more likely to be able to resolve a problem.

I do not mean to sound rude or uncaring by any of this. I simply wish to point out that there is also a positive view on every event.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. xModZ1

xModZ1 Forum Enthusiast

You are right. Next time, I hope I don't get scammed though. Thank you good sir, but I am still worried about getting banned... :(

15. Jess

Jess Dedicated Minetimer

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. In short, arguing ideas is okay, it is simply a discussion, a free-flowing exchange of thoughts and information. Things such as bullying, name-calling, and hate/rage related statements are not okay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tacticturtle

tacticturtle New Member

You know what...

He's right! This isn't the community we know. I have partaked in some of this too. That is why I have chose to stop using the "dumb" rating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. tacticturtle

tacticturtle New Member

Look, I get scared when someone says they are going to fry my router, whether it is a pro hacker, a noob, an amateur, or even someone that doesn't know what they're doing. I did what I could to get help... I reported it. I understand where you are coming form, and I hate being scammed too. I really needed that spawner though. I would have paid you as well. I didn't have the money. I'm not going to make anymore excuses, because I know I shouldn't've done it. The temptation is all too real when something like that is allowed, and I don't want to get a bad reputation for it, because that is literally the first time I partoke in scamming. I can tell that you didn't mean any harm, and I hope you are not banned, but now that the report is out, it is no longer my choice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Grammar/Spelling Bad Grammar/Spelling x 1
  18. Joeseph Stiener

Joeseph Stiener New Member

I agree, we definitely need to encourage bullies to stop. Recently someone ( who I will not name ) tried to bully me into leaving the forums. Apparently they were upset by 2 silly ratings. They called me immature simply because I disagreed with one of their thoughts and rated a post as "dumb" for spreading false information. I just want this person to understand that ratings aren't a personal attack on them, but rather an expression of opinions. Also, that I forgive their assault on me as it was quite unsuccessful.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. daelwolf

daelwolf Retired Staff

#StopTheBullies

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Joel

Joel Retired Ninja

Well written, dael.