VPN

Discussion in 'Suggestion Archive' started by PK, Aug 9, 2017.

1. PK

PK Forum Enthusiast

As we all know on the Minetime network, VPN's are a huge topic in the community. Everyone is looking for the best VPN they can find to make sure that no one gets their ip address. Player's usually enable their VPN as they get into the game that way when an administrator like Pile who is always fishing for player's IP's will not be able to get their IP-adress. For those of you who do not know what a VPN is, a VPN stands for Virtual private network which allows you to mask your actual ip adress by stating that you are logging on with another one. There are a lot of softwares for them but today i am talking about a major issue that should be addressed. Ban evading with VPN's.

We all know someone who ban evades using a VPN so that way they can just log on from a different ip and account to play the game. VPN's like PureVPN have hundreds of different locations that can be used to mask your ip adress making it harder for staff to keep a player banned. Well, I wanted to introduce a plugin which would detect players that are ban evading by using VPNS.

https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/vpnguard.6246/

This is a plugin that can detect the use of VPN's. Do not worry, this is not meant to ban VPN's for players that are playing the game. Each player should be given the permission node vpnguard.permission.bypass which will allow players to play the game perfectly fine and the plugin will not affect them. When a player gets banned, the permission node should be removed from their permission file and then when they try to ban evade they will be stopped from joining the server. Feel free to read up on the plugin, the link is above. Please tell me if you think that this would be a good idea or a bad idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Sir-Teabag

Sir-Teabag Forum Fanatic

Noice.

Is it possible though to remove that permission when a player is banned without staff having to manually type/pex user <username> remove <perm> every single time? (if they even use pex idk)

3. Nathan

Nathan Salty Ex-Mod

Support, definitely.

4. Del

Del Forum Enthusiast

VPN is not the only way of ban evading sir, if you have a dynamic ip, you can change your ip anytime no need to use / buy a vpn. How would staff memebers block that? ^-^

Your life is complicated enough to make this topic even more complicated.

#4 Del, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2017
  5. Yoowy

Yoowy Expert Member

While I think this is a really good idea, but it may be too good to be true.

The idea of removing the bypass permission node from your account once you've been banned wouldn't do anything. You can't join in the first place, since you're banned, so the plugin would be doing nothing. When you ban evade, you use a different account. There is no way to tell which account you are going to use. You can't ban evade with your own banned account. The account you are using would be treated as a "normal player" and would be allowed to bypass the VPN plugin just like any other player.

Unless there would be a way to make it automatically remove the bypass permission from all accounts found on the same IP, once one of your accounts was banned, I don't think this would work. Even then, if you were smart, you would use an alt that was not previously logged in on your old IP to prevent being seen on /dupeip.

The only way I could see this working would be to block the use of VPNs/proxies entirely, which, in hindsight, would work perfectly fine, but would anger lots of people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tyler

Tyler Forum Fanatic

This idea is very flawed. The plugin isn't designed to prevent banned players from using VPNs, but instead to revoke the use of VPNs entirely. They could implement something like this that only allows donors to connect to the network via a VPN, which would reduce the amount of flexibility banned players have whilst connecting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1