Safety Guide

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by lorn, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lorn

lorn Dedicated Minetimer

Hello! I am lozziesworld, a friendly admin on MineTime, and I have created this thread for younger people.
    This was placed in Creative thread, but it can be happily moved to another topic if need be. Lets get on with this.

What is the Creative Server?
    The creative server (or just creative) is a fun server where you can build, role play, just talk in chat or admire other people's plots and creations. Creative is one of MineTime's most popular servers, and is widely inhabited by people of all ages. Which brings up a few security breaches due to their young age and common sense. :)

First Security Breach:
    Name

The online world of Minecraft has people of all ages, and you NEVER know how old someone really is, unless you Skype or send photos. If you are on Creative, or any server in general, and your teammate online, Phony_Mc_Mackz, asks what is your name. Do not answer truthfully or answer at all unless you know the person. Giving out your name is one of the first steps for:
    • fraud
    • blackmail
    • online drama
    • bullying

Second:
    As said above, you never know the ages of anyone. Your best friend may claim to be 15, but they may be younger or older. If a random person, whom you have not trusted enough, asks how old you are, NEVER answer. Even if they are a friend, you never know the age. Revealing age leads to:
    • pedophilic actions
    • blackmail
    • teasing/bullying
    Bullying and teasing is a big consequence of revealing age, as people may make fun of how young you are, or how old.

Third:
    Do not reveal your location online EVER. You can state the country but NEVER state:
    • state
    • suburb
    • street
    • any particular surroundings
    There have been cases of murder and fraud by revealing location online. If someone asks your location, either lie and say you live somewhere else, or just say the country. Never reveal your location, or hints of surroundings as many stalkers online use this information to track you.

Fourth:
    IP

This is one of the most obvious ones and easily most avoidable.
    DDoSing is the act of sending packets to your internet IP, slowing the Internet's speed and possibly cutting it off. It is a form of hacking. If someone asks for your IP, never give it out. Once they have it, they could keep sending packets to your IP, causing lag for you and your IP network sharers. It's so easy to avoid, just don't say it. If someone says, "I will hack you if you don't." Still don't do it. They may be referring to DDoS hack, which they can't do without IP. If someone threatens, report them on the Player Reports thread.
    See
    https://www.minetime.com/threads/hiding-your-ip-on-skype.20329/
    For more help.

Lastly:
    Identity/Voice

Skype is a messenger where you can find people, chat, call or voice chat with them, and on Minetime it is highly popular. However, never give out your Skype to other people. Or call those people if they request you. Do not send photos of you to them either. Consequences include:
    • fraud
    • teasing
    • cyberbullying

Identity
    Don't reveal your identity to anyone. This includes name, age, phone number, looks, parents etc. This usually is the major cause in cyber bullying and fraud. If someone requests your identity, /ignore them.

Voice
    Voice isn't too bad, but it can be used against you. I have seen instances where players would Skype, and a player would hear their voice and go:
    "LOL (name) SOUNDS SO BAD OMG MY EARS" on shout.
    Don't call or voice chat unless you trust that person well.

I hope this guide helped you and any friends learn some safety breaches and how to avoid them.
    Feedback is welcomed and requested!
    Say any of your methods to avoid them below
    l
    V​

#1 lorn, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Sir-Teabag

Sir-Teabag Forum Fanatic

One of my mates thought he was dating a 14 year old on skywars over the internet and I was with him at the time; She turned out to be 9. xD
    Actually there are a lot of voice changers out there and there are lots of photos on the internet too.
    You should add something like this. "You also should not add randoms on skype because they can get your IP and mess up your internet."
    I'm pretty sure thats how Keanu got Xavier's account info.

Also you should add this link at the bottom-
    https://www.minetime.com/threads/hiding-your-ip-on-skype.20329/

3. JJoshh

JJoshh New Member

Already revealed the first, second, and third security breaches. Oops. Who wants my money when I get murdered?

4. Blue_Belt

Blue_Belt Forum Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this .Lots of people might already know what not to tell other people/strangers.

5. lorn

lorn Dedicated Minetimer

http://imgur.com/BOF6pDl
    This person just walked into a Rp, saw another person and asked their age, real name and state. They said that they were 18 (the person asking).
    See why I want people to read this? :(

6. Katastic

Katastic New Member

I have a problem with someone but how do I report them?

7. lorn

lorn Dedicated Minetimer

Go onto "Forums", then "Player Reports" and then "Make a Thread". then add in details, which must include :
    • your ign and the offender's
    • evidence
    • server

8. Bunni

Bunni Forum Enthusiast

Me please! :D

9. Blue_Belt

Blue_Belt Forum Enthusiast

DUT DODOSINGING WILL NOT SLOW MY MAC DOWN

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

Lol. People can get this info anywhere on the internet, with just your email or username. Also anyone stupid enough to do those things shouldn't even be on the internet

• Like Like x 1
  11. RockstarCowboy1

RockstarCowboy1 New Member

My name is Tijo Sanchez
    I am from Southlake, Texas
    I am 16 years old
    My IP is 173.71.38.5

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

See what I mean. Anywhere on the internet.
    My name is Natsu Dragneel
    I am from the Deathstar
    I am ab years old
    My ip is adf.asd.ag.qwoo

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JJoshh

JJoshh New Member

There's nothing wrong with saying your age. There's more than a few 18-year olds playing minecraft so I don't see the harm in it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. lorn

lorn Dedicated Minetimer

I have watched many documentaries about cyber safety and most of them state that saying your age can lead into bigger situations. And this person was also asking for the state, and later on, address.

15. JJoshh

JJoshh New Member

I agree that the later ones may be harmful, but if you state your age and know what to reveal/not reveal with internet safety, there's nothing wrong with it. That mainly refers to younger people that may not know the rules of internet safety, say ages 7-10.

16. lorn

lorn Dedicated Minetimer

That is the exact age group I'm aiming for. ^_^

17. JJoshh

JJoshh New Member

I apologize for being harsh then, but I'd say most of minetime's community know about internet safety. Most, not all.

18. KyotoInRevolt

KyotoInRevolt Active Member

I love this

19. Tenk

Tenk Guest

Me plz :D :p

20. lorn

lorn Dedicated Minetimer

:D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.