New Staff Members

Discussion in 'Announcements Archive' started by Collin, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Collin

Collin Retired Owner

Hello Minetimers,

I am excited to announce our recent developments regarding server staffing (including the new staff members!) -- but first, some general information:

We received a total of 511 applications. We all owe a big "thank you" to Emily (@MinetimeSupport), who actually read all 511 applications multiple times. After reading all the applications, Emily removed low-quality applications and applications that did not meet our age requirements, which made application processing much easier for the rest of our staff team. The staff and I then worked together to eventually identify the best applications. We ended up accepting 34 applications. This means that about 1 in 15 applications were accepted. We had a hard age limit of 13 and a soft age limit of 15. This means that no one under the age of 13 was accepted and that only exceptional applications from users aged 13 or 14 were accepted. A few applications from users age 13 and 14 did end up getting accepted.

Although most of our questions had no specific desired answer, some did. I am going to walk through the 3 most commonly missed questions in order to help future applicants. The most commonly missed question was "What would you say to someone that dreamed to accomplish an impossible task?". Over 95% of applicants answered this question incorrectly by encouraging "someone" to persist in their desire to accomplish an impossible task. The correct answer was to tell "someone" to stop pursuing the completion of their impossible task because the task could never be completed and was consequently a complete waste of time. This was actually not a trick question; and its responses were unanticipated.

Quite a few applicants failed the essay question (Scenario: The entire world is ruled by one king. Please write a 4-16 sentence essay on what your ideal king would be like, what you would want them to change about the world, and why.). The most common mistake was making sweeping suggestions like "eliminate racism", "eliminate climate change", "eliminate war", or "create economic equality" without acknowledging the possible massive implications of each answer (such as the elimination of free speech). Many applicants recommended the king do things like "abolish Comcast" without realizing that they would be encouraging the king to create an oppressive authoritarian regime in the process.

Many applicants also missed the "Brag about yourself." question by refusing to brag about themselves. Again, this wasn't a trick question and we didn't put it in the application to assess your humility. One or two questions answered incorrectly wasn't a deal breaker for us, though; so don't get frustrated thinking that your answer to one of these questions is why you weren't accepted.

On to the fun part...

All 511 applicants have been notified via email of their application's status. A reason for rejection was provided in most rejection notification emails. Below are the 34 users whose applications were accepted and will be promoted to Helper. If their Minecraft username differs from their forums username, it is listed in parentheses.

ADAMATOR1234, Alyssa P. (xXx_Alyssa_xXx), Angel (Begreenhikat), BerryBoxie, EvilLight (EvilLight27), FabulousPuga, Gracieth7, H3vah, Isabella (Lovelockfamily), J4D0N, Kaedeki, Kevin_ (kevin_the_cat), Kyleep, LUCASBRAGZ, MR9, MyChemicalSoul, Ollie (OllieBeaz), pepperkittycuty (pepper_), Petty104, PokecraftPhreak, proofofexistence, Reddi2burn, RyanHill (skippyMN), _SamWinchester_, Setzer (WanderingGambler), Shelby (xKittenCatx), suitX6, Tih, ToastyandButtery, Woodman1020 (Woodman), XephThePanda (Pandabora), xillusionxxmc (xillusionxx), Yash1 (prescar) *[1 or more users not listed here]

These new Helpers have been contacted via email. They will be promoted once Emily and I have them added as Skype contacts and they confirm that they have read the staff documentation. It may take a few days for accepted applicants to receive their rank, as Emily and I are flying to London tomorrow for Minecon and we plan to give users their ranks in batches over the span of a week or so (10, 10, and 14).

Please note that this thread is not a place for arguments or negativity. If you are angry about not getting accepted or don't like someone we promoted, please keep that to yourself or email/PM me or Emily. If you ignore this rule, you will be temporarily banned from the forums and your post will be deleted.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all the new staff members. Here's to a safer and friendlier Minetime! :)

• Like x 27
    • Winner x 9
    • Agree x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Sheldon

Sheldon Dedicated Minetimer

Congrats to all new staff members. Look forward to working with you all.

• Like Like x 5
  3. GoodLuck

GoodLuck Expert Member

Congratulations to the new helpers!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. deandreRULEZ123

deandreRULEZ123 Dedicated Minetimer

Congrats.

Maybe next year!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jonastua

Jonastua Intel Outside

Congrats!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Megan

Megan Member

Welcome to the team all new staff! Thanks to all of those who applied!

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joel

Joel Retired Ninja

Congratulations and welcome to the staff team!

For all the others that applied and didn't get in, thanks for applying!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ADAMATOR1234

ADAMATOR1234 Expert Member

There's me. :)

Looking forward to working with you and contributing whenever I can.

#8 ADAMATOR1234, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. LUCASBRAGZ

LUCASBRAGZ Dedicated Minetimer

Can't wait to work with you all and thankyou for picking me!

Was getting worried while reading through that, thought i had no chance after answering some of those question incorrectly! :D

Again, thankyou!!!!!

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Detrioum

Detrioum Forum Enthusiast

Well done, Is this just helpers or staff? or both? or was there only Helpers?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Voids

Voids New Member

Congratulations guys! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lovinlegos

Lovinlegos Forum Enthusiast

Congratu-malations to all of the new staff members! :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. CxttenCxndy

CxttenCxndy #GhostArmy

Congratulations! I can't wait to have some more staff friends! I'm looking forward to working with you all! If you need any help, you can always email me or message me on the forums! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Garmore

Garmore Forum Enthusiast

Im so proud of you lucas ,adamator, proofofexistance,kyleep and all of you guys

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salty_Pretzel

Salty_Pretzel Expert Member

Congratulations to the new staff members! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bradfor925

Bradfor925 Forum Enthusiast

Congratulations to all of the new staff members! (Who were over the age of 12) To be honest I thought the staff applications would of been from the age of 12+ But anyway congrats to all you people! :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Detrioum

Detrioum Forum Enthusiast

Who is the user not listed?

18. Collin

Collin Retired Owner

Sorry, but not going to disclose that. They're not listed for a reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. xillusionxxmc

xillusionxxmc #GhostArmy

Ahh! Excited to work with some amazing people!
    Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck next time to those who weren't.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Brandon

Brandon Forum Enthusiast

I'd like to start off by giving a huge congratulations to all the new staff members, and for those who missed out, there is always next time (so don't give up). I'm indeed looking forward to working with the new, and original staff members of Minetime and working together to make Minetime a better, safer and friendlier community!

As Collin stated above, we definitely owe Emily a huge thanks for not only reading and reviewing all the applications, but for also making it easier for the other staff members reading the applications themselves.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.