New Developer

Discussion in 'Suggestion Archive' started by SlimeBlade, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlimeBlade

SlimeBlade Forum Enthusiast

drtshock is really not active anymore and we do need a new one.

2. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

Or we just need more as this has been an occurring problem. Most of the time Collin is fixing things him self, So lets just hope.

3. Daniel

Daniel Expert Member

@drtshock is still active, but just not on the forums.

4. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

drt hasnt really been doing anything with plugins though, if the server is to stay alive he needs to fix all the problems and add some plugins

5. Daniel

Daniel Expert Member

You make "fix all the problems" sound like tying your shoe. It's really a lot harder than most people think it is to develop singlehandedly for an entire server with an average 1-1.5k player count daily.

6. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

Actually its not with me being a decent plugin developer myself I can see that some of these problems will only take an hour to fix. Also if we want it fixed easier and faster add more developers, is it that hard to pay more people. Now back on point. There are a lot of glitches right now with the plugins that still occur. Like the recurring one in Infection, always happens in the morning or sometimes after a reset do to weird files moving around, its an error in the files and can be easily fixed. Thats one good example and I could come up with more, but this post is getting too long.

7. Voids

Voids New Member

We could use more developers in our community so it can be more of a free flowing server.

8. Daniel

Daniel Expert Member

@MannoxEffect, there's a lot more than what you mentioned. Don't think that running a server is easy. Also "it's not that hard to pay people". Those "people" will also have access to the configuration files of a million dollar server. It is a LOT harder to find trustable developers than you'd think.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

But its not a million dollar server is the first error, Developers shouldnt have access to those files, as in the name developers should just develop and fix plugins. Also to be honest you should have backups if this was a million dollar server that could be fixed in a matter of minutes, so dont give me all of this. Please

10. Voids

Voids New Member

Developer is a very trustworthy, skillful job that takes practice and trust. If Collin just decided to give it to anyone the server would be gone.. more than likely.

11. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

But the thing is he hasnt even tried to find new developers, there have been no application posts for it, other wise i would have applied by now :p

12. Voids

Voids New Member

There would be no applications, he'd handpick people he trusts. Otherwise there'd be a whole lot of applications and he'd honestly wouldn't pick any of them. He needs to know them for a while and also to make sure they're are trustworthy enough for this job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

I know it just makes me sad because Minetime could be so much more. "could be"

14. ThatBadassPanda

ThatBadassPanda New Member

Do you even know what a developer is?

15. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

Yeah the simple answer is, someone who develops plugins

16. Daniel

Daniel Expert Member

• Collin once stated in a thread that Minetime has earned over $1,000,000 USD.
    • Developers DO need access to server files to be able to edit the server. Doesn't that make sense?
    • The server already has a bunch of RAM towers that cost a LOT. Backups of large files are not sensible.
    Overall, unless something as big as Empires was released, new developers are not needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

You dont know anything do you. Minetime will not go anywhere if we do not get these problems fixed and it is clear that one dev by him self cannot handle it as efficiently and quickly as 2 or 3, I mean hire at least 2 more, thats not too much to ask is it?

18. Daniel

Daniel Expert Member

I literally just described to you why a new dev would not work. Please refer to the bottom quote for more information.

Keep in mind, one wrong decision could lead to Minetime's network base being deleted by a rival developer who gained Collin's trust. Like I said, large backup files are irrelevant, such as the player data of thousands of players, therefore, putting the code back in would not be sensible.

Collin has been able to keep up a thousand player multi-media server up for 2 years, and he's 17... he probably has his priorities set straighter than you do.

19. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

Im sorry, im the main conflict creator here, so I wont post anything else

20. Kappa

Kappa Expert Member

Ok im gonna post on this though, please be respectful and nice, asking a @Parker @Joel and or @AgentScreem to delete these posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.