Helper application changes.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Archive' started by PingPongGamer, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PingPongGamer

PingPongGamer Former Builder

Hello.

Today I'd like to discuss a factor in the helper application format which I believe needs to change. As I filled out the application, I felt as if the questions lacked personality depth and in general, they were far too easy to answer. The questions are mainly personal information, the only question that seems to require the most effort is, ''Why should you become a helper''. I believe we need to add more questions that look deeper into ones intelligence and personality. An example,''If you could choose to be the president/prime minister of any country of your choice, what would it be and what would you change?''. With this sort of question, there are many things to write about. For example, I'd write about how I'd strengthen the immigration policy, how I'd like to increase tax on larger businesses and wealthier people, then I'd explain why. In doing so, you see how a persons personality differs from the other, and how they think. I believe the old helper applications had some great questions, some of which were straight forward, although many perceived them wrongly. A question like, ''What would you tell someone who is trying to accomplish and impossible dream''. The simple answer was to tell them that they must stop trying, because their task is IMPOSSIBLE. The funny thing is, it's a very straight forward question, but most of the people who applied got it wrong, and I believe that as a helper, you must be straight forward and honest about many things.

I'd appreciate if the helper application questions were modified to get a much better understanding, depth of personality and thinking of a person, thank you.
    @Tyler @Pile @Thrawt @Woodman @CypriotMerks @xKittenCatx

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. PingPongGamer

Agreed :)

3. dsfadfasdfsa

dsfadfasdfsa Dedicated Minetimer

Applications mean nothing to me; for my server it's always been there just to gather some basic info and see if they could actually fill out an application.

Example:
    hi im jed i think i should b helper becuz i can catch hackers and i play miencraft for 9 years and i know how to use redstone

Applicants such as that[^] get filtered out just that easily, plus it makes to easy to check for staff hunters. The current application format is more than enough. Tyler and I were talking a bit back about applications, and he said it matters more to him to have a good application that proves the applicant is worth making staff than an overly detailed essay. Take it from the staff's POV, they have to read every single application; do you really think they want to read an essay every time they check an application?

Because politics won't cause drama. Also, how does staff applications for a gaming server in anyway correlate with presidents and prime ministers?

Just to answer your question, Canada's PM is an imbecile.
    Again, none of this relates to becoming a helper. I couldn't care any less about your policy on immigration especially on a Minecraft server.
    Because most people thought it was philosophical and misunderstood the question.

I get what you're trying to do, but the application process is already good enough. It's just people think applications mean more than they do, when they mean very little. I could write an amazing application, but I wouldn't get accepted because it's me; not friendly, really blunt, etc. In reality, we need to take the focus off of Helper applications and switch it to their actions on the server; profanity, racism, sexism, etc. As well as their reports if they have any; because it can show whether or not they understand the rules, and if they'll do anything about rule breakers.

The Diminishing returns law actually fits what I am trying to say. You could add a billion questions and each added question would return less information than the last. I do think they should change the application format/questions but currently it's enough for Minetime's playerbase and the relatively low amount of player reports Minetime gets.

#3 dsfadfasdfsa, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  4. PingPongGamer

First off, I never claimed that they must write an essay on why they believe they should be helper. When you look at a lot of the good helper applications, it's filled up with things such as traits, and anyone can claim to have these things, therefore I can just say I am helpful and I have respect, but do I really mean it? What I'm saying is that the current helper applications barely go into the depth of ones personality and intelligence, therefore you can't really understand how they react or think to things. In answering a question that I stated above, it shows how you like things to run, how you deal with certain things and how they'd change things to make it a better place. You don't need to write an essay about it.

Well, I guess you can't respect someones point of view? I was only giving an example of a question. I don't mind if it gets added, because it doesn't just talk about ''presidents and prime ministers''. It talks about how you like to run things, and therefore the staff team can understand your intelligence, way of thinking and personality.

I don't expect people to care. Read what I've said over and over again to understand why. Also, this doesn't have to be an actual question, I was simply just giving an example of how a question like this can see far deeper into someones personality rather than saying ''I'm helpful, respectful, calm and nice.''

As a helper, you need to be straight forward in a lot of cases, therefore the question of ''What would you tell someone who is trying to accomplish an impossible task'' will show if a user can be straight forward in this sort of case.

Understandable. I'm not saying the questions I gave above need to be implemented, I just believe there need to be more questions which can test your personality and intelligence.

Never heard of that law, although I'd make sure to look it up and read about it :)

EDIT: Sorry, I screwed up the reply, just read it in order do your replies above.

#4 PingPongGamer, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  5. dsfadfasdfsa

dsfadfasdfsa Dedicated Minetimer

• Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.