Clearing up Some Confusion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pepper, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Pepper

Pepper Member

I PMed Pile with the following concerns after my last thread was deleted:
    1. Why aren't the ranks EULA-compliant yet?
    2. How come Mineverse has a .org backup for when it got blacklisted, but Minetime players had to figure out a loophole themselves (squidhq & clients let you bypass, apparently)
    3. Why are people being banned for things that don't usually warrant a ban?
    4. Why are Minetimers not getting any word as to what's happening to the server?
    5. What work is being done on the server at the time?
    6. Will people that have been banned for reasons like Pmboss be unbanned?
    7. What is the process to get unblacklisted, and how much progress has been made to do so?
    8. Why did it take so long to get the vote function set up?
    9. Why did it take so long to get the server back up when it was first blacklisted?
    Pile replied to me and we decided to have a conversation in Discord, in which she cleared everything up regarding the current state of minetime. I transcribed the conversation to the best of my ability, and these are summarized answers for each question.

Keep in mind these answers are true and unbiased. At no point do I nor Pile intentionally take a stance regarding our opinions of Cypriot or anybody else's actions. Everything that follows is meant to be objective.

Why aren't the ranks EULA-compliant yet?
    Because there's only two people with access to the files, and both of them are busy. That being said, a big reason is that nobody wants to be EULA-compliant, so they're finding ways to bypass the blacklist.
    They want to fix it, but that would be a huge task to take on. Plus, it would be like, "let's do all this work so that we can make less money." They would have more people working on the server, but I [Pile] have worked with them for a few years and they don't want to put that much trust and power into someone's hands.

I don't know what's going to end up happening, Mineverse and Minetime have been blacklisted, and I don't know if it'll be fixed. They want to fix it, they're pretty frustrated, but Mojang isn't out to help the servers. They're just here to enforce the EULA. Cyp and Crew have to figure out how to be EULA-compliant and still make money. For now at least, they're trying to find ways to bypass it, and I know Crew has been messaging Mojang over and over again about this.

How come Mineverse has a .org backup for when it got blacklisted, but Minetime players had to figure out a loophole themselves (squidhq & clients let you bypass, apparently)

What they're doing for Mineverse is that they're using a bunch of different domain names, so they're somehow able to bypass it. It's just a lot of effort, because every time a domain gets taken down, they have to reroute the traffic so people can still join on different IPs. We had other things that were working for a while: mineverse.com, .org, kitpvp something-or-other... All of those IPs worked and we were advising people just to use those, until Mojang shut them all down. They have to spend money on more and more domains just to get around Mojang. Cyp spends most of his day dealing with that kind of stuff.

Why isn't it that way on Minetime? Because it's daunting, and they don't have any way to automatically reroute if a domain is taken down, so they'd have to fix things manually, which would be pretty difficult to do for two servers.

Why are people being banned for things that don't usually warrant a ban?

Because Cypriot's tired of the disrespect. As a business owner, he has the right to refuse service; and it's totally fine, nobody has to like it, but to be honest: he's allowed. It's on the terms and conditions. This isn't a democracy, there's no freedom of speech here, if we don't like what you're doing we can ban you. Bottom line: If you don't want to be deleted or banned, just leave the staff alone.

Why are Minetimers not getting any word as to what's happening to the server?
    This would be filling out changelogs. [Pile] fills out changelogs, she makes sure to post what she does on forums so you guys can see what she's been up to. Cyp hasn't been posting on there but he has been fixing things, and so has Pile. She's just recently been tinkering with warps and such on factions.

Keep in mind, it doesn't matter what they do, they still get hate. Where Pile has patience, Cyp isn't going to take that. He got so much hate on his sale thread that at this point, he doesn't want to make any more changelogs.

What work is being done on the server at the time?
    Right now, nothing. Pile's been fixing minor bugs, nothing extreme, and Cyp's done with MT. He's done helping because of all the hate. There'll be less and less getting done, because he's tired of it. He was spread pretty thin between Minetime and Mineverse as it is, and the constant harassment was the straw that broke the camel's back.

You've got Pile, you've got Tyler, but they don't have access, and Crew is always hard to get a hold of because he's so busy. They've been discussing giving Tyler access to the machines soon, but we're screwed until we can get a hold of Noobcrew. Giving Tyler access isn't something they're comfortable doing, which is why up until now only Crew and Cyp have had access. The fact that they're even thinking about doing this shows at least a little bit of growth.

Will people that have been banned for reasons like Pmboss be unbanned?

The people who have been hard-deleted cannot ever be undeleted. Tyler has been unbanning people, but if they come back and just keep doing what they've been doing, they'll be re-banned or hard-deleted, and there's nothing we [the staff] can do about that.

What is the process to get unblacklisted, and how much progress has been made to do so?

We have to become completely compliant; it's more than just kits. For example, on Mineverse, everybody is given access to /fly and such on certain servers. Besides removing kits and sending emails to Mojang, we can't be sure how much progress has been made. They've said they want to be unblacklisted, but nobody's talking to Crew on a day-to-day basis since he's so busy, so it's hard to say exactly how close we are to being unblacklisted.

Why did it take so long to get the vote function set up?

They had to make a new .org domain, because Minetime had a .org, but Collin lost access to it. In addition, there's also communication problems with trying to get a hold of Collin. If you add the fact that there was a lot else that CypriotMerks had on his plate, it ended up taking a month or so for voting to become enabled.

Why did it take so long to get the server back up when it was first blacklisted?
    That all had to do with dealing with Mojang. Back then, Cyp and Crew might not have known how to bypass the blacklist, so it was just a lot of back-and-forth with Mojang back then.

TL;DR: (my words, not Pile's)
    • Be respectful.
    • Be patient.
    • They're trying.
    • Try to show some empathy. This is a big task--and they never needed to buy Minetime in the first place. The fact that the server even exists is reason enough to be thankful.
    • Remember that Mineverse is their main server. It takes priority.
    • Freedom of speech exists so, in America, you can't get arrested for your opinions. It does not apply here.
    • This is a business. They have to make money somehow.
    • Whatever problem you have with Minetime's management, just remember: it's probably not as simple as you think it is.
    • Remember that Pile is on the forums every day: if you don't like the forums as they are, give her suggestions!
    • Communicating with Mojang is a big part of the problem.
    • Tyler may get perms soon, and when that happens things will be fixed a lot quicker.
    • They can't just flip a switch and fix everything. Making the server EULA-compliant will take a ton of work, and they can't get unblacklisted until that's done.
    • Just leave CypriotMerks alone. Just because his profile lets you comment isn't an invitation to cuss him out.
    Please just try to read the whole thread. I was just as angry as the next guy about the current management of Minetime, but Pile's answers calmed me down about the issue a lot and they'll probably be the same way for you.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Supa Hot Fire x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. Realistic

Realistic Fake Builder

3. west

west Forum Enthusiast

tldr version pls

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PingPongGamer

PingPongGamer Former Builder

In all honesty, Tyler used to have server files, and he was the best staff member on the server. Now that he can't do anything, Minetime is in a bad state due to the owners barely doing anything. Tyler showed he can be trusted with files, and they should seriously give him a chance. As for Cypriots ''disrespect''. You can't buy a server got 7-8 months, not do anything and expect everyone to love you. Many other server got off the blacklist within weeks, yet after all these months, we are still on it? If Cypriot doesn't want drama, he should lock his profile, or enforce a new rule. Cypriot has been deleting and banning people for such little things, just like when I called him a goat before. Although it may have been rude, did it deserve a permanent ban? Not to mention how he puts the IP's of players in the reason to why they were banned. Eg (''Cypriot is stupid''. Reason: 12.341.456 ect).
    What I'm trying to say is, 7-8 is a lot of time to get off a black list and get stuff done on the server... All I want is the best for Minetime, and the owners need to understand why we are so frustrated, and the community needs to back off at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Firerad_Fieritis

Firerad_Fieritis Dedicated Minetimer

Oh, I spy another calm and mature thread. The Forums are simply wonderful today! (No sarcasm here.) Also, good on you for actually taking the time to talk to Pile and not immediately curse her out. Bravo to you! (And having answers are nice. Less panic and hate that way.)

6. Pepper

Pepper Member

[​IMG]
    i know u saw this u little s-word

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Pepper

Pepper Member

I partially agree. I think that we need to remember that CypriotMerks has both Mineverse and real-life obligations to worry about, so we shouldn't be attacking him as a person. However, I do agree that it's been far too much time to just excuse this as "they'll get around to it eventually".

8. PingPongGamer

PingPongGamer Former Builder

I'm not attacking him, but if the EULA was forced before he bought Minetime, he should have know that buying Minetime will be a lot more work and that he'd need to get it off the black list. Basically, if he was going to buy Minetime, he should have know it was going to take a lot of effort and that he needed to dedicate time to it as well, not neglect it. You can't have 3 kids, focus on 2 and neglect the other till you feel like it or have more time...

9. Deer

Deer Forum Enthusiast

On the whole Mojang being part of the problem, let me expand on that. They are the problem. Their customer relations are terrible and they can be entirely unprofessional with the way they handle things sometimes.

Quick story to prove my point: a year ago, I wanted to migrate my account over to my email instead of my parents, since I got the account in 4th grade, it was registered to theirs. So I start the process, finish it, boom, I can't get into my own account for 2 months, and when I got it back, it still used the old email.
    TL;DR
    Mojang, like a lot of companies Microsoft owns, is subpar in terms of fixing problems that people bring up, and as such, our problem won't be solved until Mojang gets its crap together for longer than a month.

10. Greehn

Greehn Forum Enthusiast

Thank you for telling us this. Now i do feel bad for harassing @CypriotMerks about all of these issues. I really do think cypriot deserves a second chance.

(Mojangs services are as worse as steams stupid customer service)